To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.
~ e.e. cummings, 1955
Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life.
~ James 1:12
- All the time. I was the youngest in kindergarten in public school.
- Left public school and was a new kid in parochial school.
- Moved in 5th grade and was the new kid in a new parochial school.
- Moved “home” in 8th grade and was the old “new kid” and my friends had all re-distributed.
- Best friend in neighborhood…wasn’t.
- Best friend in college died within one year of our meeting,and went home, after calling me the night before about how peaceful she felt.
- Married a man I had met as a 12 year old (I was 20 then) and that ended in violence that I survived.
- Now all my contemporaries were having kids, and I was sing and mostly not a part of their lives.
- Got my first professional job, made two amazing friends. One retired and moved, the other changed buildings. We are still friends, but it was not the same.
- Met the love of my life and was ostracized by my then pastor.
- Married the love of my life, made new friends in his church.
- Got pregnant with/around the same time as new church friends. Perfect group.
- Group disbanded when one couple moved, the other couple left the church.
- Those who remained were in their own groups, and I was “younger.”
- It seemed everything I was a part of, was constantly dissolving in front of or around me.
Except the love of God
Except the choir where I am accepted with the gifts I have, and the flaws and the tears and all that comes with it.
Except those friends who are geographically distant but constant as the sun.
God has stuck with me, and I want to be ready for whatever all these hellos and goodbyes have meant to His purpose. And my life is a breeze compared to so many of yours! God is with you, and with your Spirit right now. Stand in His light and lift your hearts and say thank you.
All I Can Do is Say Thank You- Mike’s Chair
Because of Him,